Tuesday 25 February 2014

Film Review A Winters Tale in New York

Synopsis

A burglar falls for an heiress as she dies in his arms. When he learns that he has the gift of reincarnation, he sets out to save her.

My Musings

I went to Winters Tale despite the bad reviews and I am so glad I did. Beautifully filmed with great acting from Colin Firth and Russel Crowe, the lynch pins of the film. This is an old fashioned romance set against a backdrop of myth and fairy tale. 

I went to view this with an open mind after , as I said, reading a dreadful review in the Daily Mail. 

I was totally transported which is what film is all about. The director was obviously moved by the book and its story and moved us in turn. Colin Farrell falls in love with a dying girl played by Jessica Brown Findlay of Downton Fame. Their romance and chemistry is gorgeous to watch. There is also a magical element in the shape of angels, demons and, my favorite, Pegasus. If you like horses this one is divine in the film, literally.
This is good versus evil on an epic scale.

I feel it is such a shame that these reviews in papers are written by cynical hard bitten hacks who only give 5 stars to hard hitting life stories or edgy art films. They are too jaded for this kind of film and then put off others from enjoying them. 
It is too romantic, too old worldly, too whimsical. And I really loved it. This is why I go to the cinema, to be transported to another world , to be lost , to be seduced. 
This film will not win any oscars and yes there are some holes in it but I applaud the director Akiva Goldsman in his first film for having the guts to take an epic story and put it on screen., I hope this won't be his last. (He was the screen writer for A Beautiful Mind, I am Legend to name a few)
Utterly absorbing and don't forget your tissues. Don't read dry reviews in the newspaper, give this a chance and you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment