Wednesday 21 August 2013

Review Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

 Book Description
Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.
Love or loathe Celaena, she will slice open your heart with her dagger and leave you bleeding long after the last page of the highly anticipated sequel in what is undeniably THE hottest new fantasy series

My Musings
I have been waiting for the second book of a Throne of Glass for a year, it seems like forever BUT was worth the wait!! I was trepidacious at first but was not disappointed by one of my favourite modern fiction heroines, Celaena Sardothian. She is tough but vunerable, a heart of gold who is capable of great ruthlessness. For this girl still waters really do run deep.  You will be put through every emotion, I laughed, cried and there are several OMG moments. The love/friendship triangle between her, the Kings Champion Chaol and The Evil Kings son Dorian still weaves a complex web and will pull at your heartstrings. The twists and turns are so numerous you catch your breath. Some scenes so beautifully described you can see it played out in front of you, just wait for the dinner scene.....
I am trying not to give spoilers as I don't want to ruin really great read but I did shed a tear at a really heartbreaking moment. After my initial outrage that a certain thing happened I realised what a Great writer Sarah is, Very brave and not frightened of making difficult decisions about some of her main characters as long as it stays true to the story. BRAVO.
Sarah has created a complex vivid world without losing focus on its central characters. Chaol and Dorian (I still don't know which is my favourite, I keep changing my mind, but edging towards the prince unlike most!!) continue to keep hearts fluttering and they are becoming much more indepth paving the way for future plots.  I really can't wait for the third book due out in 2014. Please write faster. My favourite YA fiction of 2013 so far!!

If you liked this try
I think I love this series so much because it has echoes of some of my all time favourite books of this genre.
The Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
The Black Magician Triology Trudi Canavan
The Poison Study Trilogy Maria V Snyder

New out 2012-2013 but great reads
Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers
Daughter of Blood and Bone by Laini Taylor

Interesting Facts
Sarah started to write this book when she was just 16 publishing excerpts on fictionpress.com!
She has signed a new series with out in 2015
Celeana is inspired by Cinderella
Sarah's website is www.sarahjmaas.com
Will be promoting Crown of Midnight in the UK dates to be announced soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment