Wednesday 19 March 2014

Film Review Le Week-end


Synopsis

A British couple return to Paris many years after their honeymoon there in an attempt to rejuvenate their marriage.

My Musings

Oh Dear, and I was really looking forward to a pretty escapist film set in Paris with two actors I greatly admire, Jim Broadbent and Lindsay Duncan. How wrong I was. Yes Paris looked gorgeous but the story centers on a couple going away for a weekend and their underlying problems. And boy do they have problems. It is an uncomfortable film from the start. The wife played by Duncan, is obviously bored and dissatisfied while her husband is trying to do his best but keeps getting it wrong. The film racks up the underlying tension to such an extent I felt really anxious watching it!! If this was supposed to in the Exotic Marigold Hotel mold they totally missed the point. There was no laughter, no light relief. No pretty pictures of Paris could make up for what should have been a light comedy of manners and family issues but instead was unsympathetically self indulgent. I have to say I stopped watching it after they got to the party of a friend, Jeff Goldblum. I just couldn't watch anymore so I suppose this is not a true review as I never got to the crux of the film. And I really don't care.

If your looking for film that deals with issues with a light touch in beautiful places try

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- A classic ensemble cast set against India
Ladies in Lavender- Beautifully directed by Charles Dance starring Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.
Calender Girls- Classic bitter sweet comedy beautifully and sensitively filmed starring Julie Walters
Quartet- Set in a home for elderly musicians with Maggie Smith. Not her best but very charming.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona- One of the best of Woody Allen set in Barcelona with Xavier Bardem and Scarlett Johanseen

No comments:

Post a Comment